Monday, February 12, 2007

So we have all got our results, and for many, it is decision time. And yes, it ain't easy. The sacrifices one has to make when picking a choice, weighing up the pros and cons, opportunity cost as well. Distance, the friends that are going there, the friends that aren't whether you can fit it to their respective cultures. And more crucially whether you realistically have a chance of entering, and what you may incur by not putting something else as your first choice.

Some people like their current place so much, they can't bear to leave, even though they know that they can go to another place with a lower cut-off. Some people hate their current place so much, they want out no matter what. Really, the dilemma that many of us face is pivotal. It may only be 2 or 3 years, but it will most certainly be the most important 2 or 3 by far- we've grown so fast. And thus, I am so relieved that I am not facing such a tough decision, as I could imagine I would not be able to think level-head-dedly if I was in such a situation. I've spoken to many people unsure of where they should go, and I hope I have helped at least a couple in making their decisions, in weighing up their options, cause really it ain't easy. To all out there really, take time to think deep and hard about your future, and always keep faith in yourself, that God will guide you on your way. =)

On friday, before we got our results, word was it that we all did remarkably well, and I was still feeling normal. Time slowly passed as we caught up with old friends, chatting, swapping badges and.....taking pictures! (cam whores indeed, haha). I was quite calm until we walked up into the hall, and suddenly, I don't know why but I felt a lot more nervous. I thought back to 4years ago, when I was [very young and immature and dumb but still...] doing very well in my studies for exams and prelims, and I played computer games everyday, haha. The Red Alert days, they were. And, I still live to regret those days. Firstly, I messed up my PSLE, got a good score, but not good enough to get into RI, which was what my parents had expected of me. Secondly, my eyesight deteriorated at such a fast rate, and how I wish I had spent time more wisely then. And so, 4 years on, I was still watching football during the exams. I remember Arsenal suffering a bad loss on the night before HCL. That was against West Ham. I remember them beating Liverpool 3-0, that was before AM P1. Well, I guess this time round I was definitely more disciplined and mature, but sigh, my new-found love of football never fails to get the better of me, still. I prayed as we were sitting down and eagerly anticipating our results. And fortunately I didn't have too much time for my thoughts to drag me to further places. But well, just for the record, I got C5 for my HCL, after C6C5C6....so I guess it was pretty much expected. TBH, I thought the HCL exam was not that difficult, that HEY maybe I HAD a chance to get like.....A2! But I guess, this is really a reality check. My chinese has really sucked, I have put very little effort in improving it, and I'm just grateful to scrap a pass. And I'm sure many people have that similar feeling towards other subjects too. So really, I'm very mediocre too actually.

After we collected our results, many of us were delighted with our grades. Why, our cohort had so amazingly exceeded expectations and done even better than our ex-seniors! And, credit has to be given where credit is due. Many double science students have certainly worked very hard and put in their all for the O's. I remember making this comment to many people about how big the gulf has been last year, between trip. science and double science people. Yes, I know I've been very critical, and I will try to change that part of me. Back to the topic, the double science students have really bridged the [wide?] gap in the O's. And full credit to them. So many of them had less than 10pts, and now they can go to a 'top 5' JC. And I think they deserve much more praise than us trip. science students!

Many of our wonderful teachers were in attendance, and they deserve nothing but all the thanks we students have for them. In particular, I really want to thank Mrs Allison Lim for all her encouraging words in times when they were so needed, and of course it was a pity Mr Tan wasn't there so see JunJie and I......haha. I have been very offensive towards Ms Goh and Mdm Chan. And I must say, most of it was probably just to get that feel-good you get by bad-mouthing others behind their back. And that is so wrong me of me la. So I decided that I would at least have a proper conversation with Mdm Chan AND Ms Goh. And I did. And of course I'm not so courageous as to openly tell them all the bad things I've said of them and that I'm sorry, but I did wish them the best in teaching future batches, and, and, Ms Goh shook my hand sincerely to congratulate me! And I won't blow this by saying something bad about her now. HAHA. but seriously, I felt so much better.

Next, I'm trying my best not to boast here, but I am really flattered by all the thanks from people who I've helped in some way or another throughout the O levels period la. In particular Sherhan's message was really touching la, haha, thanks DEAR...and...it inspired me to create SMS-es for teachers and thanking them in a similar way...and Mrs Lim was so touched by it too. haha. A great way to spread the love and joy la. There are really a lot of people I want to thank, but I guess that'll make this post way too long. So I guess I'll stop here for the moment.

After missing so much football over the past couple of weeks I have finally managed to watch 2 wonderful games with come-from-behind scorelines. On Saturday, Newcastle beat Liverpool 2-1, and it was damn funny to see Liverpool's all-so-feared strikeforce miss absolutely ridiculous sitters. Well, there were more spectacular ones to come on Sunday. It was deja vu as I endured 80mins of pure frustration as Arsenal wasted a plethora of chances [yet again!] at the Emirates, Henry most guilty of them all. And to compound that frustration, after Wigan took a shock lead through a very good long-range shot, their 'keeper wasted SO MUCH TIME taking goal-kicks. This is all too similar to what Man Utd did a month ago, and boo hoo, they lost. So did Wigan, as justice prevailed with 2 late goals in the final 10mins, with Rosicky scoring a sweet winner 4mins from time. And what more sweeter was seeing our wonderful German keeper wasting time after that, giving them a very good taste of their own medicine, as Arsenal come back yet again and remain unbeaten at the Emirates. I love that word. Unbeaten. A delightful week indeed, now, I just hope.......

that this holy cough of mine would go away ASAP. =)

No comments: