Friday, May 05, 2006

DOUBLE STANDARDS.
Boy do i hate that phrase. It applies to all aspects of life, I feel.
Like, for example, in soccer, the Chelsea manager always feels that the press is against Chelsea. When Manchester and Arsenal were winning titles they were well-branded and well-respected. Now that Chelsea have won their 2nd title in as many years, all everyone talks about is when they will collapse, and their boring style of play. Yes, i don't like Chelsea. I don't like the way they play. But I understand how Chelsea are feeling.

Now, for an example today, we got back a test paper, and i did quite okay for it, and i'm assured of an A1 liao. There was this one question worth 2marks where everyone who has seen my answer and compared it with others, would agree that I deserved at least 1, if not both marks. When i asked the teacher, she said "I want you to learn how to phrase your answer in the proper way" Okay. The thing is, instead of using "heat absorbed", I wrote "heat taken in". Apparently someone's English aint so good, but it doesnt take an English pro to understand that they mean pretty much the same thing. Okay. So i'll learn.I'll use absorbed next time. However, I noticed some one my friends using phrases such as "energy used up" and golly me they got 2marks for that question. So i went back to the teacher to demand an explanation. And she said, "It's not that it matters, you've already got your A1. I won't entertain you any further." Why how professional! We are from 4/7. The average person gets an A1, unlike in other classes. And she declares that, "If someone from [another of my classes] wrote that, I can understand that their English is not that good. As long as what they are thinking is right, they deserve the mark." Indeed, I am sure this is doing you no favours into increasing your likeness which has been so evident of your actions. [all the following is referring to A TEACHER and not some close friend of mine however intimate it sounds okay, LOL]

This, my friends, is blatant double standards. Being a teacher, you can be strict or lenient. Easy-going or always serious. Either way, you can be a good teacher in the eyes of students. [Mrs Lim and Mr Tan respectively]. What is important is to be consistent in your actions, so treat everyone equally, with the same, i shall say, RESPECT. Only then will you get it in return. Earlier, I was talking to some of my classmates, and i sort of told them that i felt, teachers who are rigid, and don't give in easily to students' requests for marks, are good. What is important is being consistent in being rigid, or giving in. Being inconsistent and contradictory in your actions, will result in dire consequences in the future. In politics, one contradictory statement will be instantly picked up on by the opposition. It gives a poor impression of yourself, and that's exactly how i feel. It doesn't really matter much to be, as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty confident of being able to self-study in a subject which is poorly taught. If anything, it's an ADVANTAGE on top of other students who depend on notes. [BOO HOO!].I mean, u print so much notes for free and you sell a small bundle of test papers for how much? And we're forced to pay! Why don't you try selling your notes and see the reaction you'll get? And I can seriously picture her, 10years down the road, being something like a Ms Ow-yeong.[if u can grasp the insulting part of that].Teachers say that the results don't relate to any bonus to them or anything, but the truth is that it will determine whether they get to teach sec4, or, quote "socially cannot mix with" sec2s. Results do matter to teachers. Mr Tan is always stressing how poor our results are, why? The answer's in the question isn't it.

Oh well. I made so much out of something so small. Guess it goes to show, that

"one never knows what ripples one's falling pebble will cause"

Sigh. Ok. Today, also got back Chinese and History. Failed Chi la. lol. 25/55. That's "Chan's minimum standard" ? lol. doesn't matter la. only thing that matters is that I PASS OVERALL can le ba. i mean the tian cong is pretty much guesswork. and compre is jus whether i can UNDERSTAND the qn, which shows how freaking poor my chinese is. too late.
History was ok la. 18/25 is not great, but then again the highest was only 19. Really, by making the combined humanities tougher and tougher, they prob want pple to neglect it more and more, with the essays being of more weird forms, and souce-based having combined skills in one qn.

Well, this term has been tiring, and if anything, term 3 will definitely be rush-hour term, if what Ernest and Mr yong said is anything to come by. Seriously, the end of the football season is quite a huge relief to me. I mean i wun die if i miss a world cup match. Final or not. Blimey, international matches just don't captivate me like club football matches do. Passion. Support for a club.Perhaps if Singapore football gets better. LOL.

Well, there is just a Sunday of premier league action left. And its the farewell match at Highbury before we move into the 60.000 seater emirates. Lets just hope the day will be a great one. Wigan ain't strong. I dunno. 7-0? We've already done that twice in the past year! ha!.

No comments: